pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Time, please, ladies and gentlemen!

Time, please, ladies and gentlemen!

Basil Clarke

16 May 2024 00:23 #7132

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

They say all good things come to an end. No doubt opinions are divided as to whether the large Wetherspoons pub in the centre of PG's high street is a good thing or not, but it's now clear that it is coming to an end imminently - this weekend in fact. Just one among a large number of JDW venues that have closed in recent times or are due to close soon. Clear-outs of older pubs to make way for new openings is part of Tim Martin's established business pattern.

If Wikipedia is to be believed, the Alfred Herring opened in 2006, so not long before my wife and I moved to PG, but because it was already here when we arrived I've always thought of it as a long established fact. I knew that it had replaced another Wetherspoons pub further north, but didn't realise that it had happened so recently.

According to Savills, the Alfred Herring is under offer, so hopefully this big gap in our high street will be plugged before too long.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

JuliusCaf

16 May 2024 10:25 #7134

This is one of the better Wetherspoon pubs.
At the end of the day, price matters.
The other pubs in the area are rubbing their hands.

Bill Linton

16 May 2024 12:15 #7135

Someone who has been in there reports that the staff are unaware of a change of ownership, or an impending shutdown. They are surely legally entitled to more than 2 days notice.
Are you sure of your facts, Basil?

PGC Webmaster

16 May 2024 13:17 #7138

Bill Linton wrote (message 7135) :

Someone who has been in there reports that the staff are unaware of a change of ownership, or an impending shutdown. They are surely legally entitled to more than 2 days notice.
Are you sure of your facts, Basil?

Oh dear... Well, I'm less sure now that you've written that. I heard the news from what I regard as an (almost) impeccable source, it was close to the publication time for the weekly newsletter and I had no chance to check with the pub.

It's no accident that I posted it as a personal message in the forums rather than as a news item...

Neil Littman

16 May 2024 15:51 #7139

The closing of the Alfred Herring along with over 30 other Wetherspoon pubs was announced quite a while ago with a new development proposed mainly upstairs. No closure timing was given back then. Also in Wanstead Wetherspoons announced the closure of The George which is magnificent Edwardian pub on the high street with a bit of notoriety concerning the previous owners and it is so popular (I have been there many times) that the locals have put a petition together which has already attracted over 3,000 signatures and it is always busy so the closure may be related to renewing the lease or something like that.

Karl Brown

17 May 2024 08:56 #7140

A dense fog of uncertainty seems to surround PG’s Wetherspoons: earlier this week I heard it had seen a reprise from its well publicised sale plan; by mid week two bar staff had told  a friend it was to close imminently with them being relocated to alternate outlets; a local publican subsequently confirmed same, adding rumour had it the (pretty long established) proposed buyer had pulled out; whereas the selling agents still has it “under offer”. search.savills.com/property-detail/gb0456l118505

I guess we will all know come Monday. Until then this w/e may be the last local chance of a full English with unlimited coffee for a little over a fiver. I imagine the meal-deal of same but with a pint to be a tad more expensive.

Neil Littman

17 May 2024 12:06 #7141

PGC Webmaster

17 May 2024 18:26 #7143

Here's the Dispatch story that Karl referenced.
Last orders for two more Enfield pubs.

If it's true that some bar staff didn't know about the closure a couple of days ago, that doesn't strike me as good management. Though at least they're all being redeployed.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.795 seconds